Thursday, May 27, 2010

Student Reflection from Berlin


Hello Everyone. This is Sarah Teetsel with the first description of our activities from Berlin. After arriving in Berlin this morning, we met our guides – the last members of our March Leadership Team. We went first to a suburb of Berlin, to the Wahnsee River, where we enjoyed lunch outside before visiting the Liebermann-Villa and the  Villa.

Afterwards, we traveled back into the city to bear witness to the Grunewald Memorial and the Bayerische Platz Memorial. After dinner Anya, a German citizen and former March participant from HWS, shared some of her thoughts on remembrance, and we reflected on everything that had happened in our small groups. As we might have guessed, even the first day gave us much to think about, especially after our long journey to get here. For me, one way to process what we have experienced thus far was to write a poem, uniting the themes and ideas from the whole day. Colored words are reference to specific sites, but the sites are not in chronological order as we experience them throughout the day. This offers one perspective of our first day on The March. Thank you for being with us as we continue this life-changing journey.

THE FIRST DAY
I take a walk in the woods.
Green is all around me.
I hear the soft rustle
Of my footsteps.

The shadows of the trees
Loom all around,
Silently marching
With those that have come before.

Slowly, the grass fades
Into stones.
The ground becomes imprisoned,
Lashed by wood and metal.

It continues on for what seems like forever,
So I begin to count,
To see if I can reach an end to the madness.

I look closer at the bright,
Brilliant, bronze and iron.
Upon closer inspection,
I see only the rust,
Surely stemming
From the tears of
Beings who came before.

Soon I come to a house,
Gilded with jewels and finery,
Scented with perfume,
Yet none of it can mask
The odor of deceit,
Beguiling as it may be,
There is something rotten
With the uniformity,
The anonymity.
No mount of wealth
Can hide the scars
That are left behind
From the procedure,
The clinical atmosphere
Produced harm
Instead of giving life.

I look for a sign,
Something to tell me
Where the hell I am.
But there is nothing,
Those voices are silent.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Poem Jennie.. the odor of deceit .
    Thank you to all ...for going....for sharing...for taking on the burden of remembering....you are all to be respected and appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Kathleen Crohn

    ReplyDelete